We are the Corporation for National and Community Service, a federal agency that helps more than 5 million Americans improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. Working hand in hand with local partners, we tap the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing our nation.
We invest in thousands of nonprofit and faith-based groups that are making a difference across the country. We are AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, the Social Innovation Fund, the George H.W. Bush Volunteer Generation Fund, and more. We serve, we build, and we make an impact that changes lives and communities.
Serving at more than 70,000 locations across the country, we deliver results-driven service where it’s needed most:
- We strengthen education from pre-school on up. Our Foster Grandparents spark a love of learning in kids and our AmeriCorps members keep students on track to graduate and succeed.
- We help communities recover and rebuild from natural disasters, and we lead efforts to preserve our nation’s natural resources in our parks and public lands.
- We stand behind our veterans and military families by supporting families during deployment and providing assistance to help our soldiers transition into the workforce or get an education after they come home.
- We improve health by supporting independent living for seniors, reducing childhood obesity, preventing disease, and helping families gain access to health care.
- We build economic opportunity for individuals and communities by helping more Americans graduate, pursue higher education, gain career skills, and find employment.
Now more than ever, it’s important to make every dollar count. National service is a cost-effective solution that taps the power of citizens to get things done. We multiply the impact of our investment by generating hundreds of millions of non-federal dollars, mobilizing millions of additional volunteers, and operating with a high degree of accountability and efficiency:
- Our 80,000 AmeriCorps members mobilize more than 4 million volunteers for the organizations they serve, increasing their reach and impact.
- Our Senior Corps programs tap the skills and experience of more than 360,000 older Americans to meet pressing community needs.
- Our Social Innovation Fund generates substantial private sector support to help grow evidence-based programs that improve the lives and build the economic independence of low-income individuals.
- Our George H.W. Bush Volunteer Generation Fund enables nonprofits to expand their impact by investing in practices that increase volunteer retention and recruitment.
- We provide vital leadership, training, coordination, and resources to help make the nonprofit sector more effective.
- We are creating the next generation of leaders and public servants through the experience our members gain in programs such as FEMA Corps, AmeriCorps NCCC, and School Turnaround AmeriCorps.
Our nation’s strength comes from our people. America has always been at its best when citizens together, joined in common purpose. We help focus this energy on local challenges to make a difference in the lives of millions of Americans every day.
- We support high-impact service to meet pressing needs, from illiteracy and homelessness to hunger and disasters. More than 800,000 Americans have given more than 1 billion hours of service through AmeriCorps, helping millions of our most-vulnerable citizens.
- We create economic opportunity by working in schools to improve graduation rates and providing services that develop job skills that lead to new careers.
- We lead AmeriCorps VISTA, which has been on the front lines fighting poverty since 1965, helping improve the lives of low-income individuals and communities across the country.
- We increase educational opportunity through Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards that have provided more than $2.4 billion to more than 800,000 Americans to defray college costs.
- We lead Days of Service on Martin Luther King Day and September 11th that encourage millions of citizens to volunteer in their communities.
Volunteering and national service is a vital and cost-effective solution to our nation’s most-difficult challenges. The Corporation for National and Community Service stands ready to help Americans tackle these challenges and build a better future for our people, neighborhoods, and nation.